https://www.goldenharvestacres.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/003.jpg 2304 3072 John Bobinis //www.goldenharvestacres.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/logo-red-340x156.png John Bobinis2019-11-03 11:58:222022-02-09 10:33:13Apple Struesel Bread
Apple Struesel Bread
This is truly an amazing treat that is great as breakfast, dessert or a snack. Make it your center piece when serving with coffee or tea after dinner. Your family and guest will love it and ask for more!
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tblsp brown sugar divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 apples peeled, cored & diced
- 1 tblsp plus 2/3 cup sugar divided
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tblsp butter
- 2 tblsps caramel (optional)
- 2 tblsps milk
- 2 tblsps confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter & flour 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss apples with 1 tblsp brown sugar, 1 tblsp sugar, apple pie spice & walnuts. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream butter then add 2/3 cup sugar. Beat until light & fluffy, about one minute.
- Add one egg at a time & mix. Scrape down bowl & mix for one minute until slightly pale in color.
- Add vanilla & mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix flour with baking powder & baking soda.
- Alternate adding flour mixture & sour cream into the batter. Mix just to combine but do not over mix batter.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan & spread to sides.
- Add half of the apple mixture but poke the apples down into the batter.
- Sprinkle with half the sugar mixture.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter, apples & sugar mixture, patting down the apples into the batter before topping with the last of the sugar mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare glaze.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, caramel & milk in a small sauce pan.
- Heat to a boil & simmer on medium low for 2 minutes with out stirring.
- Remove from heat & sift in the powder sugar while you whip. If it lumps, just pass through a small sieve.
- Let it sit about 10 minutes.
- Once cake is out of the oven, cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen sides & flip out of pan & onto a cooling rack, then place the rack over a sheet pan.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top & let it melt into the warm cake.
- Serve warm or cool completely.
This is truly a delicious treat that can be served as breakfast with coffee, desert or when entertaining as an appetizer. This recipe is somewhat tastier when warmed slightly prior to serving.